Offering a range of support options including face to face, telephone, email and Skype

About Jenny Maher

SEN specialist

I have worked on a government-funded project aimed at helping parents to understand changes to the special educational needs system.

Knowledge and experience

I have a wealth of knowledge, experience and contacts, which will help you access the professionals and services you need.  

Jen and boys

Me with my sons Stephen and Ciaran


I can contact professionals on your behalf, write to them and attend meetings with you. I am on your side.

Administration skills

I spent eight years as an administrator for a university and have a joint honours English degree. I understand how to use systems to your advantage and know the key phrases that should be used on important applications. 

My Experience

I’m a mum of two children with special needs, aged ten and eight. My oldest son, Ciaran, has autism, ADHD and epilepsy. He goes to a special school and receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with higher rate care and higher rate mobility components. Ciaran also has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and has accessed an NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) package. He attends two short break clubs and we also receive respite care from social services.

Stephen has autism, ADHD and hypermobility. He also has an EHCP and attends a learning and cognition resource base. 

My previous work roles have included Regional Officer for Cerebra (a charity for children with brain conditions) and Case Co-ordinator for Autism West Midlands. These posts involved giving advice on the Special Educational Needs system, filling out DLA & PIP forms, giving advice on short breaks and care packages. I also organised workshops and days out, such as this one to Think Tank in Birmingham: 

Parents and carers of children and young adults with special needs enjoy working with me because I understand their point of view. I’m a professional who is also a special needs mum so I ‘get it’. I'm not easily shocked and I won’t be judgemental. I want what’s best for you and your family.

I have a 2:1 (Hons) degree in Expressive English & Social and Applied Psychology, Level 2 certificate in counselling and have received training in autism and safeguarding vulnerable children and adults. I am currently studying a Graduate Certificate in Integrative Counselling Studies and hope to study a Masters degree in Psychotherapy.

Contact me:



Skype name: